Thursday, February 11, 2016

Keeping Narrative Alive~Writing from the Heart

This week in my Reading and Writing Connections class we did a wonderful pre-writing activity that was a sweet connection to Valentine's Day.  In our PD sessions we frequently talk about how we can keep narrative writing alive for our students.  "Writing from the Heart" would be a great way to do this.

If you google "Heart Mapping"  by Georgia Heard, a great tutorial/lesson plan and template will pop right up! Hooray for Google!   Even the template of a heart is ready to go!  If we take the opportunity for students to create a heart map they'll have it as a wonderful resource for narrative ideas throughout the year.  It can be used for a quick ten minute write or mini-story to complete narratives.  It might be fun to do a heart map at different times of the year so that students can compare their thinking and ideas over time.
Heart Mapping

When I created my own heart map in class this week, I loved the color coding of different life experiences. I color coded the following:

  • People I care about
  • Places I've lived
  • Things I do in my free time.
  • Favorite memories or events
  • Turning points in my life
  • Favorite places
  • Favorite possessions, artifacts, etc.
My heart is not complete yet, as there are many more things that I'm sure I'd like to add.  I think I could actually create multiple hearts, one for each of the bullets listed above.  I also think I could grow my list of things to include.  What I love the most is that each section of my heart is a story waiting to be told, now I just need the time to write.

Let me know if you've done a heart map before or you're going to give it a try with your students.  I'd love to see what your kids come up with, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment