Friday, September 18, 2015

What I'm Learning in Kindergarten

You know that old saying that goes something like this, "Everything I needed to learn I learned in kindergarten?"  Well, that has certainly held true for me this week!  I've been spending time getting to know our kindergarten students by completing phonological awareness screenings.

It's important to note, that I've never taught kindergarten or first grade.  I've had 33 years in the classroom, but the totality of my experience has been in grades 2-6,  the vast majority in 3rd grade. That being said, phonemic awareness has not been my strongest area of knowledge or instruction. Our kindergarten students have provided me with a wonderful glimpse into their world as they develop these skills as readers and writers.  This assessment work has been important to my learning curve, as well as very engaging and totally entertaining at moments!

I've also been gaining ground in first grade this week by observing and participating with students in phonological development instruction.  WHEW!  These teachers and their kids are working hard!

To support my learning in the area of phonemic awareness the Two Writing Teachers Blog, https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/ came to my rescue once again!  Elizabeth Moore had an excellent post today, (September, 18th) entitled "Phonemic Awareness!  Yeah!"  It very clearly, concisely outlines the following big ideas.

  • Phonological Awareness
  • Phonemic Awareness
  • Phonics
  • Correlations and Connections
  • Segmenting

Thanks, for this great post Elizabeth, my learning journey continues, and I look forward to the opportunities that will present themselves working with our teachers and students in K-1!

No comments:

Post a Comment