This week I've been working on Early Literacy Screenings in the K classrooms. What a joy it has been for me to spend time with our youngest learners. These bright eyed K students have given me great pause as I've listened to them rhyme, count out words in sentences, and remove segments from words. What wonderful small people they are! I look forward to watching them grow over the course of the year.
Next week we'll begin the challenging work of calibrating and scoring narrative pre-assessment pieces. This week in PD we set the stage for this work. Our process for next week will be:
- Review learning progressions for narrative writing.
- Examine benchmark pieces, TCRWP student samples, TCRWP annotated samples, EMES benchmark samples.
- Norm/Calibrate/score a piece together, working as a group score line item by line item.
- Score another piece individually, then discuss and come to consensus on the scoring as a group.
- Work alone to assess other pieces.
This will be challenging, important work. It will set the stage for our future work in this unit.